Senior Grower UKBirchington, Kent (England)
Do you want to become a Senior Grower in the most modern tomato nursery in England? Complete with hybrid LED lighting, double energy screens and modern greenhouses. Are you an expert in growing top quality tasty tomatoes or do you have the ambition and/or talent to become one? And are you experienced in (greenhouse) horticulture and have you overcome almost all cultivation technical challenges? Then this role at RedStar is tailor-made for you!
About RedStar Group
RedStar is a family business which celebrates its 70th anniversary this year. The company is an established name within the Dutch and international tomato market. RedStar has multiple greenhouse locations in The Netherlands, is proud partner of Thanet Earth in the UK and has multiple partnerships with growers in Tunesia, Spain and Marocco.
RedStar is looking for a Senior Grower in the UK which is part of Thanet Earth. Thanet Earth was founded about 15 years ago and started as an initiative to produce locally and serve the English consumer with fresh, tasteful and healthy vegetables grown in England.
This required a lot of investment and it was a bold step to build a completely new company. After thorough research, the right partners were found. The partners were 3 Dutch experts in the cultivation of cucumbers, peppers and RedStar for the tomatoes and an English trading partner. The growers sell their entire production on the English market under the Thanet Earth flag. A great example of local for local production.
The Thanet Earth joint venture has been proven to be an enormous success and since then 3 communal greenhouses have been built and there are also concrete further expansion plans. As a result, tomatoes are now grown on a total area of 23 hectares.
RedStar’s corporate culture is characterized by the values Open, Respectful and Inspiring. We are looking for people for this position who recognize themselves in these values.
Responsible for the cultivation of 23 hectares of tomatoes in state-of-the-art greenhouses
- Involved in drawing up Thanet Earth's cultivation plan and responsible for its implementation as far as cultivation is concerned.
- Optimizing and actively maintaining the organization's hygiene protocol.
- Continuous assessment of the crop and optimization of the growth process at 3 locations.
- Responsible for achieving the forecast quantities and optimal product quality by achieving optimal climate conditions.
- Responsible for the use of nutrients, water, energy and the integrated crop protection strategy.
- Maintaining necessary records regarding the complete crop development.
- Optimizing the energy policy on a daily basis and achieving optimal use depending on the energy needs of the crop.
- Together with the tomato growing team you take care of 23 hectares of tomatoes but knowledge of cucumber or pepper cultivation is also welcome within the Thanet Earth cultivation team.
Passionate and enterprising grower with "green fingers" and a large amount of current cultivation knowledge and a great sense of responsibility
- A completed BSc or MSc graduation in Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Agribusiness or similar or this level obtained through work experience and practice-oriented courses.
- Extensive knowledge and insight into the growth process of plants is required, preferably within fruiting vegetables.
- You keep yourself permanently informed of the latest developments in your profession.
- Cultivation experience and in a similar role is an advantage.
- Strongly result- and solution-oriented in your way of thinking and doing.
- Willing to work a weekend shift.
- Live within 30 minutes traveling distance of Birchington (Kent, UK) or willing to live there.
- Honesty is very important to you.
- You are enterprising and able to make financial decisions regarding costs and revenues.
- You take ownership of your work and understand that flexibility is necessary.
- Great sense of responsibility and self-motivated, but dares to ask for help where necessary.
- You are confident, have an eye for quality and are decisive.
- Works results-oriented and values respectful manners.
- Analytically strong, flexible and sees challenges instead of problems.
- You have an eye for detail, work accurately, but always see the big picture.
- Good communicative skills and able to give and receive constructive feedback.
RedStar is a company that greatly values your own input and provides room for self-development. There is a pleasant and informal working atmosphere and all permanent and seasonal workers form an energetic and close-knit team providing the English supermarkets with fresh, tasty and healthy tomatoes.
This position comes with an all-in salary where you work at least 40 hours per week. Excellent employment conditions are available for the perfect candidate. Besides financial benefits, the company offers help with finding housing and settling in England if necessary.
RedStar has exclusively outsourced the Recruitment and Selection for the Senior Grower vacancy to CeresRecruitment. Detailed information about the company can be found at https://www.thanetearth.com or www.redstar.nl. A personality questionnaire is part of the procedure.