Farm Manager Costa RicaGuácimo, Costa Rica
Are you experienced in managing a production company in horticulture and do you have knowledge in agronomy? Do you speak both Spanish and English? And are you looking for a challenging job in which you are responsible for multiple departments, without directly taking on the work yourself…Then ForemostCo Inc. is looking for you!
Over ForemostCo Inc.
ForemostCo is a family owned US company in growing and distributing young plants. It was founded over 35 years ago and the Foremostco family of businesses contains at this moment 5 farms in the US, Guatemala and Costa Rica beside even more third party growers which provide ForemostCo with plants only when those plants are meeting Foremostco’s quality and specifications.
Since 2003 the 52 hectares Ornamentales Sapo Verde SRL (OSV) farm, situated close to Guácimo in Costa Rica is part of the ForemostCo family of businesses. OSV produces over eight million cuttings (rooted and unrooted) per year and has become one of the most respected producers of among others Scheffleras, Crotons, Aglaonema, Sanseveria, Heliconia and a broad assortment of Bromelias.
OSV supplies products to both the North American and European markets and is proudly committed to sustainable farming practices, and approaches the usage of chemicals, water, fertilizers, and energy with extreme discipline in order to provide a quality product while protecting the health and welfare of the local residents and the surrounding ecosystem.
While maintaining consistent quality, strong customer relations and a healthy, efficient and productive in-country labor force, OSV continues to set the standard for providing exceptional quality products with environmentally friendly technologies.
Because the current Farm Manager is promoted to Country Manager Costa Rica we are looking for a new Farm Manager.
ForemostCo is researching to build a new house on the farm, otherwise you will be living in the village of Guápiles in a private house to be rented.
Responsible for the entire production of the farm and all associated processes to ensure effective and efficient production of cuttings.
- Responsible for the entire farm with an emphasis on optimizing production, providing reliable forecasts and gain insight into and reduce the costs per cutting.
- Direct management, supervision and development for 3 department heads. Indirectly responsible for about 80 employees and ensuring the proper functioning of the departments.
- Working on Operational Excellence so that delivery, reliability and product quality remain at a very high level.
- Emphasis on developing the local management, coordination, cooperation, monitoring and control, in short ForemostCo is looking for a leader not for a boss.
- Able to be a sparring partner for the local Agronomists in terms of cultivation and production.
- Developing improvement points together with Country Manager Costa Rica and the board of ForemostCo.
- Reports to the Country Manager Costa Rica.
Ambitious hands-on leader with a focus on processes, people and costs in Costa Rica.
- A BSc/MSc degree in Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Agribusiness, Farming or similar obtained through work experience and practice-oriented courses.
- Knowledge about the growing process of plants and the production process of cuttings is required.
- At least 5 years of relevant and successful work experience, preferably on horticultural production farms.
- Good command of the Spanish and English language.
- Team player with a working method aimed at quality of both product and organization.
- Willing to live in Costa Rica on or close to the farm for at least a number of years.
- Taking ownership and fulfilling an exemplary function is very normal for you.
- Focus on fairness, on connection, knows how to motivate, stimulate and convince.
- Enterprising, decisive and takes initiatives.
- Able to draw up clear reports and good with figures.
- Analytically strong, thinks solution-oriented and sees challenges instead of problems.
- Flexible and result-oriented.
- Has a pioneering mentality and can work independently.
- Stand firmly in your shoes, have a practical attitude and a no-nonsense mentality.
- Can give and receive constructive feedback.
ForemostCo Inc. offers a dynamic position within a pleasant working environment with a challenging perspective. Good employment conditions are available for the ideal candidate, including an expat package (insurance, housing, family travel, car).
How to respond?
ForemostCo Inc. has exclusively outsourced the Search and Selection for the vacancy of Farm Manager Costa Rica to CeresRecruitment.
Extensive information about the company can be found at www.foremostco.com.
A personality questionnaire is part of the procedure.