Breeder Germplasm EnhancementNagele (Emmeloord)
Over KWS PotatoKWS is one of the most innovative and long established plant breeding/seed companies worldwide. For more than 150 years they have been breeding and marketing high performance varieties for the modern farmer. Their key crops are sugar beet, corn, cereals, oil seed crops and potatoes. Their core markets are in the temperate climate zones of Europe, North and South America as well as China.
In Nagele (The Netherlands) they employ a broad range of breeding methodologies and molecular breeding tools to develop an innovative pipeline for potato hybrid varieties.
For their breeding station in Nagele we are seeking a highly motivated Breeder Biostatistical and Genetic Analysis and a highly motivated Breeder Germplasm Enhancement.
FunctieContribute to a tremendous innovation in potato growing by developing hybrid potatoes
- Design, conduct and analyse experiments to characterize germplasm to enhance new breeding concepts in the context of potato hybrid breeding. The identification and analyses of appropriate germplasm sources for hybrid mechanisms (e.g. genic or cytoplasmatic male sterility) will be important targets.
- Work collaboratively with other scientists within the team and interact with scientists across breeding, molecular biology and business development to develop new concepts in potato breeding.
- Initiate and supervise academic collaborations and integrate findings in their program.
- KWS offers access to state-of-the-art technologies and diverse expertise in breeding, molecular biology and data management.
ProfielExperienced Breeder who will change the potato industry
- MSc or PhD in plant breeding, agronomy or related studies.
- Industry experience is a plus.
- Solid basis in breeding methods, molecular breeding and statistical genetics.
- Familiarity with standard general-purpose statistical software and databases.
- Detail-oriented, analytical and trouble-shooting mentality.
- Result-driven, having the ability to execute projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to properly interpret research results and quickly set new directions.
- Fluently spoken and written English. Dutch is an asset.
- Innovative and creative.
- Combining methodical work with creativity.
- Able to convert knowledge into product innovation.
- Accurate and analytical.
- Energetic, no-nonsense mentality
- Persistent with a high level of involvement.
- Communicates smoothly on different levels.
KWS offers a challenging position in an international breeders network. You will be responsible for the design, implementation and optimisation of breeding procedures for germplasm enhancement. This will involve the analysis and design of breeding experiments and marker-trait associations in collaboration with their breeding and biotechnology team. You will receive a thorough on-the-job training to grow into your role. The primary and secondary labour agreements are excellent.
KWS has outsourced the recruitment and selection for the Breeder Germplasm Enhancement exclusively
Information regarding the company: www.kws.com.
A personality questionnaire will be part of the recruitment process.