Leader of the international HG Tomato breeding programWestland, The Netherlands
Are you an experienced breeder who is able to translate market needs into new leading HG tomato varieties and is actually living in The Netherlands or has been living there for many years? Do you want to make an important contribution to the tomatoes assortment in the market, development and maintenance of our product portfolio, especially in tomato varieties for heated greenhouses? Are you someone who believes in the power of breeding to develop the perfect tomato for the customers? Then you are the one Tomatech-Nirit is looking for!
Tomatech-Nirit is a dynamic and creative seed breeding company, based in Kfar Menahem, Israël and operates worldwide. Tomatech-Nirit is developing some of the most advanced tomato varieties available on the market today. Special emphasis is placed on breeding and developing varieties for heated greenhouses. Those heated greenhouses are mainly located in North-western and Eastern Europe and North America. The focus of the breeding effort will be on the development of tomatoes in different colours and shapes with high flavor.
To achieve those goals, Tomatech-Nirit is extending a branch in the Netherlands to develop new varieties for heated greenhouses. This will be the heart of the company-wide breeding program for HG tomatoes.
In short, a challenging job with a lot of variety, independence and a chance to shape the future dinner table!
Leading the development of new tomato varieties for Heated Greenhouse sector that exceed the wishes of our greenhouse growers and customers
- Deploying modern breeding techniques to develop successful varieties.
- Preparing and setting up cultivation trials and yield trial experiments at the various target markets to test the chosen variety in practice in consultancy with the team of marketing and sales at various locations within the market of growers in heated greenhouses.
- Define criteria to select variations together with the trial officer and sales team.
- Able to consult with the team of marketing and sales, growers and other stakeholders and translate their feedback into future breeding strategies.
- Interpreting and implementing the results of the collected data from all phases of the breeding program.
- Collecting fieldnotes on horticultural traits, both on inbred and hybrid materials including pathology traits together with the trial officer.
- Planning and coordinating the transfer of population lines to seed production to support new product launches in agreement with the parental delivery process.
- Cooperating on remote with the Israel breeding team and teams in other markets.
- Reporting directly to the R&D Manager.
A hands-on independent and innovative professional who combines a clear vision and solid knowledge on plant breeding with the ability to translate market needs into new varieties
- Experience of at least 3-5 years in practical breeding of Tomato for Heated Greenhouses. Similar experience in Peppers or Cucumber is the only alternative.
- You are able to lead the heated GH breeding program while maintain long-distance working relationship and can prepare and interpret clear reports, charts and tables.
- PhD or master degree in plant breeding, plant sciences or equivalent education at WUR, HAS or equivalent.
- In-depth knowledge in the field of genetics, plant biology and plant breeding.
- You are experienced with modern breeding techniques and the use of molecular markers.
- You function well in multidisciplinary teams and work also independently.
- Traveling frequently within Europe, but also to Israel, North America and Canada is required for this position.
- Able to speak and write English fluently. Speaking Dutch is a plus.
- Able to communicate with a diversity of stakeholders and extract their wishes to use in your breeding program.
- You are enthusiastic with a hand-on spirit, a strong vision and the ability to make strategic choices.
- Analytically strong, thinks in a solution-oriented way, sees and handles challenges instead of problems.
- Efficiently analysing breeding data and market trends and translate them into targeted breeding projects.
- You have experience with the relevant IT applications.
- Standing firm, and always focussed on connection with colleagues, growers and other stakeholders.
- You can give and receive constructive feedback to the stakeholders.
- You do have a permanent permit to work in the Netherlands at the moment.
Tomatech-Nirit offers a challenging position to really contribute to the future success of the company. A job with a lot of freedom and self-motivation within a dynamic and growing company. Excellent conditions are available for the right candidate.
Tomatech-Nirit has outsourced the Recruitment and Selection for the vacancy of Senior Breeder exclusively to CeresRecruitment. Detailed information about the company can be found at https://www.tomatech.com. A personality questionnaire is part of the procedure.